Project’s Hospitals for CBC implementation is coming to end. Until the end of 2019 there were implemented these activities:
1. In the beginning of the project during the project kick – off meeting in Kaunas on 3rd of October 2018 partners signed the Partnership agreement and discussed the project implementation plan.
Project kick – off meeting, Republican hospital of Kaunas, 3rd of October 2018
2. Leading partner (Republican hospital of Kaunas) organized refresher courses for the medical and administration staff. The aim of these courses – to build and strengthen overall medical and administration specialists’ qualification in the field of 11 topics such as:
- Team work. Participants discovered the importance of team work, effective ways of working in teams and how to strengthen and motivate teams.
- Participants were introduced to the concept of leadership behaviors and received effective leadership knowledge to improve organization’s performance.
- Conflicts management. Participants have received both theory about the reasons for emergence of conflicts and practical exercises on working with different types of people and turning arguments into discussion.
- Organization results evaluation. Participants were introduced to organizational assessment process in order to get valid information about the performance of an organization and the factors that affect that performance.
- Human resource management. During this training participants have received information about the role of human resource management and its impact on the results of the organization.
- Internal communication. Participants restored and strengthened respect ant conversation between different colleagues and departments and learned how to avoid potential crises.
- Strategic planning. Participants have learned the basic elements of strategic planning and developed the best strategic planning process to achieve organization’s goals.
- Time management. Participants have improved ability to plan and prioritize work and learned how to deal with unexpected events that steal time.
- Public speaking. Participants have developed and strengthened public speaking skills and received knowledge about preparation for public speaking and audience management during the speech.
- Stress management. During training participants were introduced to stress symptoms and basic principles of managing emotions and stress.
- Successful organization representation and image. Participants were provided with structure and content of organization’s image and developed its creating practical skills.
About 250 medical and administration specialists from different hospital’s departments from November 2018 till May 2019 have participated in these courses and received huge qualification upgrade which is and will be very useful for their everyday work. Most of the participants expressed very positive feedback and hope to participate in other project’s activities in the future.
Refresher course “Leadership” for staff of Republican hospital of Kaunas, 30th November 2018
Project partner Daugavpils regional hospital also started the refresher courses. Within the period from July 23 till August 30, 2019 project partner organized training for the hospital medical and administration staff. Eleven training cycles and practical classes were led by associate professor at Daugavpils University, Dr. psych. Vitālijs Raščevsks.
Various topical topics were covered during the training, for example: the consequences of professional burnout, how to protect yourself from burnout at work, prevention of emotional burnout, emotional intelligence, cooperation with colleagues, communication modes and styles, time management, leadership, strategic planning, problem solving, etc. During the training, various practical classes were organized to learn different methods, including stress reduction in everyday life. 223 employees of the hospital improved their professional qualification. Of particular note were cycles such as body-oriented stress therapy, which also included acquisition of practical stress reduction techniques. Emotional self-regulation – how to deal with your emotional tension without affecting other people’s psyche and how to manage your emotions. Participants were actively involved in the training cycle, asking questions, discussing and participating in practical classes.
Refresher course for staff of Daugavpils regional hospital
3. In order to develop surgical procedures and raise their administration capacities leading partner (Republican hospital of Kaunas) has purchased and in July 2019 installed telemedicine equipment which allows to film, translate, archive and review videos for these specific purposes:
- Record and archive surgery cases and use this information in cases of medical consiliums and medical audits.
- Use of interesting surgery cases in educational activities for medical students and surgery residents. Both live and recorded video material can be used for educational purposes.
- Record and archive diagnostic cases and use them to evaluate current situation and the effectiveness of the treatment before the surgery and to evaluate the research dynamically for choosing the most effective surgical method.
- Live consultations by senior and experienced surgeon. This equipment allows performing these consultations without leaving his current location and entering the surgery room, making disinfection and putting special clothes. These preparation actions prolong surgeries, increase operation costs and leave more possibilities for prolonged anesthesia and in rare cases can cause hospital infections. Equipment allows for consulting specialist to have a live conversation with colleague in surgery room from his cabinet or other working place.
- Live translations from all 8 surgery rooms and corridors of surgery block allow to observe the working process and to know the exact phase of operations. This allows to reduce time for preparation for surgeries and to perform more operations per day. As the result, the waiting time for scheduled operations will be shortened. Telemedicine equipment in surgery room of Republican hospital of Kaunas
4. Daugavpils regional hospital staff work placements in Republican hospital of Kaunas
In order to gain experience from Lithuanian colleagues 10 doctors and nurses from Daugavpils regional hospital had come to Republican hospital of Kaunas for 1 week work placements. The work placements took place on 11-15 of November and 9-13 of December 2019.
The main work activity topic was abdominal Wall Repair Workshop. Work was divided in two parts – theoretical and practical. First of all surgeons and nurses discussed possible methods of operations, indicative operations, equipment needed for surgeries, organization of surgeries, postoperative nursing and treatment of patients.
The second part include live demonstration of operations and a review and discussion of complicated clinical case records. Practical training aim was to improve the skills and knowledge of laparoscopic general abdominal wall hernia surgery, which will allow for the implementation of minimally invasive procedures in Daugavpils regional hospital Surgery units.
Work placement in operation room, December 2019, Kaunas